In This Issue:
- JUNE MEMBERSHIP MEETING – SUN JUN 11
- JUNE SHABBABAQUE (JUN 16): REGISTRATION OPEN / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- JUNE DINING DOES GOOD – PRESTO PASTA ON JUN 19
- MRJ NEWS
- MOTAS 2017 ANNUAL APPEAL – RESPOND TODAY
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: PAINTING TEMPLE GATES
- BAGS OF HOPE
- IN CLOSING
1. JUNE MEMBERSHIP MEETING – SUN JUN 11
Sunday, June 11th will be our last membership meeting of the 2016-2017 programming year. Join us for our usual scrumptious breakfast starting at 845am. Following that will be our membership meeting, where we will discuss the upcoming Shabbabaque and its preparation: shopping, cooking, serving, and anything else we can think of. We will also be discussing new membership development and discussing a fun summer activity. Please bring your ideas and share them.
At the meeting, we will also be installing our newly elected officers for 2017-2018:
- President: Frank Soronow
- VP: Bill Shapiro
- VP: Howard Miller
- Secretary: Hal Bass
- Treasurer: Roger Lowe
2. JUNE SHABBABAQUE: REGISTRATION OPEN / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Signups are now open for first Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, June 16th. Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from our rockin’ TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. Meat items will include turkey burgers, sirloin burgers, and Hebrew National hot dogs. Vegetarian items will include veggie patties, green and yellow squash roasted with garlic, and baked potatoes. Afterwards, there will be a wonderful Sisterhood oneg. The full menu is on the Shabbabaque event page. Our goal is for everyone to be happy. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us at the email address below.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 16, 2017
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/14 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/14 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservation for this event by June 14th is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of late-registration tickets are available at the door.
We are in the process of developing a program to encourage potential new members and students to join us at the Shabbabaque. Details will be announced in next week’s MoTAS Weekly.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit https://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=174358872.
3. JUNE DINING DOES GOOD – PRESTO PASTA ON JUNE 19
Our June “Dining Does Good” will be Monday, June 19 at Presto Pasta in Granada Hills in support of MoTAS and Kesher (formerly Synaplex). You can find a flyer for the event at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/. We really encourage you to come and support these events: we raise a little extra funds for various groups, but more importantly, we come together and break bread as a Temple family on a regular basis. It is a real joy to walk into a neighborhood restaurant and see your Temple friends, to sit down and share a table and talk. This is the heart and goal of MoTAS: Building Relationships.
4. MRJ NEWS
- The MRJ Management Committee has approved a stipend of $400 for MRJ/FJMC Convention in Washington, D.C. July 19 through 23, 2017! Yes, $400 off the registration fee! Not $200 or $3000 or $399.99 – $400! The $400 stipend will be automatically deducted when you register, at the end of the process. For those of you who have already registered, a rebate check will be issued after convention. The fine print – the stipend is for full convention registration and attendance; one stipend per person/per congregation. The conventions will be held at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in the Metro Washington, D.C. area, close both to ground and air transportation. Click here for information on the convention and to register.
- MRJ is giving notice that, per Chapter IIV, Section 2 of MRJ By-laws and Constitution, proposed amendments thereto are to be voted upon at Convention. They are available for review and download: By-Laws here and Constitution here.
- Please consider donating to MRJ and helping MRJ in supporting all their projects. You can donate by clicking here.
5. MOTAS 2017 ANNUAL APPEAL – RESPOND TODAY
Note: We will be closing down the annual appeal donations at the end of May. If you want your donation to be counted as part of the 2017 appeal, you need to donate now.
In 2012, ignoring the objections of our accountant, the Men of TAS eliminated the dues requirement for membership. We moved to an inclusive model where every man in TAS is part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom. Since we don’t have dues, we don’t have steady revenue. So, every year Men of TAS asks you to support our work financially. It is through your annual contribution that we are able to make our annual contribution to the Temple’s general fund, to support our breakfasts, and to fund our various activities.
By now, you should have received your appeal reminder in the mail. We urge you to respond and help our great organization continue to support TAS and the member of MoTAS. You can also find the message on our support page at http://support.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. On that page, you can find a printable donation form that you can mail in, as well as a link to contribute online.
See your friends and fellow congregants that have really stepped up to support us on our website’s Wall of Honor at http://wallofhonor.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. Join the Wall of Honor yourself by donating 100 or more shekels (dollars). Your generous gift will provide fun events for all Temple members, kids to adults, teachers and staff. Continue to repair and improve our facilities. Most importantly, it will help us continue teaching and living the Jewish values that guide and enrich all our lives.
6. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: PAINTING TEMPLE GATES
Volunteers are need to paint the metal gates located at TAS Northridge. They are currently painted all back. We need to touch up some rusted spots. Additionally we will be painting the Hebrew letter on the gates gold. These were the gates that were formerly mounted on the wall at the entrance. All material costs will be covered by Men of TAS. If you are available to help, please contact Frank at email@example.com.
7. BAGS OF HOPE
Sally, a current Confirmation Class student started Bags of Hope, which was hugely successful in that it supplied much needed (and simple) supplies to be handed out to the homeless living on our streets in the Valley. It has now been taken up as an endeavor by the TAS Social Action Committee. We’re trying to get volunteers and these much needed supplies collected by this year’s Mitzvah Day so we can distribute them on the streets. All help is welcomed and Rick Mervis (firstname.lastname@example.org) can supply a list of the items we’re trying to collect at the next MoTAS meeting. If you need more specifics please let him know. Homelessness is an abhorrent problem that should not exist. These Bags of Hope are to assemble simple and the least we can do to help. We will have more information on this at the June MoTAS meeting.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!