- MAY DINING DOES GOOD – LAS HADAS ON MAY 22
- JUNE SHABBABAQUE: REGISTRATION OPEN / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- MRJ NEWS
- MOTAS ELECTION RESULTS
- MOTAS 2017 ANNUAL APPEAL – RESPOND TODAY
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: PAINTING TEMPLE GATES
- HELPING YOUNGER JEWISH MEN AND WOMEN FIND JOBS
- IN CLOSING
Our May “Dining Does Good” will be THIS MONDAY, May 22 at Las Hadas in Northridge in support of MoTAS and the Confirmation Class/L’Taken. You can find a flyer for the event at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/. We really encourage you to come and support these events: we raise a little extra funds for various groups, but more importantly, we come together and break bread as a Temple family on a regular basis. It is a real joy to walk into a neighborhood restaurant and see your Temple friends, to sit down and share a table and talk. This is the heart and goal of MoTAS: Building Relationships.
Looking ahead to June: Our Dining Does Good for June will be on June 19 at Presto Pasta in Granada Hills, benefiting MoTAS and Synaplex. Flyers will be available on the Dining Does Good page next week.
Signups are now open for first Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, June 16th. Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from our rockin’ TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. Meat items will include turkey burgers, sirloin burgers, and Hebrew National hot dogs. Vegetarian items will include veggie patties, green and yellow squash roasted with garlic, and baked potatoes. Afterwards, there will be a wonderful Sisterhood oneg. The full menu is on the Shabbabaque event page. Our goal is for everyone to be happy. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us at the email address below.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 16, 2017
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/14 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/14 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-reservation for this event is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of tickets are available at the door.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit https://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=174358872.
- The MRJ Management Committee has approved a stipend of $400 for MRJ/FJMC Convention in Washington, D.C. July 19 through 23, 2017! Yes, $400 off the registration fee! Not $200 or $3000 or $399.99 – $400! The $400 stipend will be automatically deducted when you register, at the end of the process. For those of you who have already registered, a rebate check will be issued after convention. The fine print – the stipend is for full convention registration and attendance; one stipend per person/per congregation. The conventions will be held at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in the Metro Washington, D.C. area, close both to ground and air transportation. Click here for information on the convention and to register.
- MRJ is giving notice that, per Chapter IIV, Section 2 of MRJ By-laws and Constitution, proposed amendments thereto are to be voted upon at Convention. They are available for review and download: By-Laws here and Constitution here.
- Please consider donating to MRJ and helping MRJ in supporting all their projects. You can donate by clicking here.
At the May MoTAS meeting, elections were held for our 2017-2018 officer slate. The following fine individuals were elected:
- President: Frank Soronow
- VP: Bill Shapiro
- VP: Howard Miller
- Secretary: Hal Bass
- Treasurer: Roger Lowe
Note: We will be closing down the annual appeal donations at the end of May. If you want your donation to be counted as part of the 2017 appeal, you need to donate now.
In 2012, ignoring the objections of our accountant, the Men of TAS eliminated the dues requirement for membership. We moved to an inclusive model where every man in TAS is part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom. Since we don’t have dues, we don’t have steady revenue. So, every year Men of TAS asks you to support our work financially. It is through your annual contribution that we are able to make our annual contribution to the Temple’s general fund, to support our breakfasts, and to fund our various activities.
By now, you should have received your appeal reminder in the mail. We urge you to respond and help our great organization continue to support TAS and the member of MoTAS. You can also find the message on our support page at http://support.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. On that page, you can find a printable donation form that you can mail in, as well as a link to contribute online.
See your friends and fellow congregants that have really stepped up to support us on our website’s Wall of Honor at http://wallofhonor.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. Join the Wall of Honor yourself by donating 100 or more shekels (dollars). Your generous gift will provide fun events for all Temple members, kids to adults, teachers and staff. Continue to repair and improve our facilities. Most importantly, it will help us continue teaching and living the Jewish values that guide and enrich all our lives.
Volunteers are need to paint the metal gates located at TAS Northridge. They are currently painted all back. We need to touch up some rusted spots. Additionally we will be painting the Hebrew letter on the gates gold. These were the gates that were formerly mounted on the wall at the entrance. All material costs will be covered by Men of TAS. If you are available to help, please contact Frank at email@example.com.
Frank Soronow had a meeting with David Katz, Executive Director, Hillel 818. Hillel 818 serves the campuses at California State University, Northridge, Pierce College & Los Angeles Valley College. The number one need of his students is getting a job. MoTAS and TAS Northridge can provide significant value by helping our next generation prepare resumes, practice interviewing, find opportunities, and close the deal.
Imagine the positive feeling we could create. We would be to meet candidates at Shabbat services. Together we sing, pray and get our candidate on the road to employment.
Talk with the students and parents you know. Let them know we are looking for candidates to help. Have the students email Frank at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a phone call and time to meet.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!