In This Issue:
- OCTOBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 10/9): LESSONS FROM HISTORY ON TRIAL
- SUKKAH CONSTRUCTION APPROACHES (SUN 10/16)
- ALLAN SHERMAN CONCERT (SAT 10/29): TICKETING IS NOW OPEN
- OCTOBER DINING OUT: ENJOY TAKE-OUT BBQ IN YOUR SUKKAH (MON 10/17)
- IN CLOSING
1. OCTOBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 10/9): LESSONS FROM HISTORY ON TRIAL
NEXT SUNDAY, instead of our normal monthly meeting, in October MoTAS is facilitating an outing to see the new movie Denial, followed by a facilitated discussion. Denial is a very timely movie this election year, about a man who makes up what he believes to be the truth, backs it up with fabricated historical research, and then sues in court (for libel) anyone who claims he is lying. In this case, the man was David Irving, and the “truth” he was telling was that the Holocaust never happened. He sued, in British court, Dr. Deborah Lipstadt who had written a book about him showing how he was lying. We wouldn’t see that happen today, however — after all, we would catch on to anyone who was regularly lying about history. RSVPs FOR GROUP TICKETS ARE DUE FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7.
- Denial, a docudrama about the battle between Dr. Deborah Lipstadt and David Irving about his attempt to deny that the Holocaust ever happened. Based on the acclaimed book “Denial: Holocaust History on Trial”, DENIAL recounts Dr. Deborah Lipstadt’s (Academy Award® winner Rachel Weisz) legal battle for historical truth against David Irving (BAFTA nominee Timothy Spall), who accused her of libel when she declared him a Holocaust denier. In the English legal system, in cases of libel, the burden of proof is on the defendant, therefore it was up to Lipstadt and her legal team, led by Richard Rampton (Academy Award® nominee Tom Wilkinson), to prove the essential truth that the Holocaust occurred. You can see a trailer for the movie at YouTube.
- 12:30pm … Meet at TAS for Announcements and background
- 2:00 pm … Movie at AMC Promenade (1h50m +)
- 4:30 pm … Reconvene at TAS for snacks and facilitated discussion
- Group Tix+Discussion/Refreshments: $14.50 Adults, $11.00 Children
- Discussion/Refreshments Only: $5
- Plus $1 for Eventbee Registrations
- Open to All TAS Members
How to RSVP:
- Eventbee: http://tinyurl.com/motas-denial
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#
- RSVPs Due by Friday, October 7 for Group Tix
2. SUKKAH CONSTRUCTION APPROACHES (SUN 10/16)
A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SUNDAY WE WILL BE BUILDING OUR SUKKAH. Mark your calendar for the Sunday October 16th, at a special early time — 8:00 AM. That morning, we’ll gather together under the watchful eye (and voice) of our Sukkah Foreman, Robert Levin, to build our Sukkah. Bring your hex wrenches, zip-ties, wire cutters, and most importantly, gloves, and come out and help. I find this one of the most fun activities of the MoTAS year—men working together to build something. Come join us for the fun. You can RSVP at http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=108947545.
3. ALLAN SHERMAN CONCERT (SAT 10/29): TICKETING IS NOW OPEN
Before “Weird Al” Yankovic there was another “Al” – Allan Sherman – who became an instant celebrity in 1962 when he sang and recorded his devilishly clever parody lyrics on the album “My Son, The Folk Singer.” His zany songs hit just the right nerve with the American public and his first three Warner Bros. albums shot to Number One. Linden’s show is a tribute to the man and his music. MoTAS and TAS Sisterhood will be hosting a joint concert in tribute to Allan Sherman on Saturday, October 29, at 8pm (with a dessert reception to follow). Pricing is $25 for adults, $18 for children 18 and under, and sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information, including online ticketing, visit http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/sherman/. You can also make reservations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a message at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235# .
This event is open to the general public. Please spread the word to all your friends who love Allan Sherman. It is sure to be a great night.
4. OCTOBER DINING OUT: ENJOY TAKE-OUT BBQ IN YOUR SUKKAH (MON 10/17)
Our October dining out will be on the first day of Sukkot, so what better thing to do than to go get take-out BBQ from Rosies in Northridge, and bring it back to eat in your sukkah. Present a flyer when you pick it up, and MoTAS and the Caring Community will split 15% of your bill. Don’t have a sukkah, eat in the restaurant, and we’ll earn 20%. Rosie’s has moved from their location on Tampa to a new and improved location on Corbin, just N of Nordhoff St (i.e., N of the Target, not Lowe’s). There is more information, as well as a printable flyer (just click on the image) at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining. You will also find the flyer in the Temple foyer, in the October Menorah, and in the weekly eblasts.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!