- JULY MEMBERSHIP POTLUCK – SUNDAY JULY 12, 2015
- SUPPORT THE GOLF TOURNAMENT — SUPPORT MOTAS
- AUGUST CONCERT IN THE PARK – SUNDAY AUGUST 9, 2015
- 50TH ANNIVERSARY SHABBABAQUE – FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2015 – RESERVATIONS OPEN
- FOOTBALL SQUARES NOW ON SALE
- IN CLOSING
On our traditional meeting day in July (the second Sunday, MoTAS is continuing the traditional of an end-of-year/start-of-year party. This event is open to all MoTAS members — that doesn’t mean regulars, that means any male member of Temple Ahavat Shalom. If you’re new to MoTAS, we would love to meet you and learn how we can make MoTAS a group you want to participate in. If you’re a regular at MoTAS events, we’d love to see you as well — it’s always fun to sit around and catch up. The gist of this is: regular or not, young or old — we want to see you at our Potluck.
The Potluck will be held at the home of the MoTAS President, equidistant between CSUN and the Northridge Mall. There will be comfortable places both inside and out to sit and talk. A variety of board games will be available for those that want. There will also be a swimming pool available. If you wish to bring meats and grill them, there is a grill available.
This is an informal event. It will be held Sunday afternoon and evening, July 12. RSVP online at http://tinyurl.com/2015-motas-potluck. RSVP BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS, THURSDAY 7/9, SO THAT PLANNING INFORMATION MAY BE SENT OUT.
The 2015 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament will be Monday, October 19, 2015. This event is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our TAS Calendar/Golf Program is a printed calendar of Temple events throughout the year, surrounded by ads and messages from members and businesses. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
In August, we’re continuing a new tradition with our August Concert in the Park. This is a family event. We invite you to bring your family and join MoTAS for a picnic and concert in the park on Sunday, August 9. We’ll be meeting at Warner Park for the Concerts in the Park series; the artist that night will be Super Diamond, a Neil Diamond tribute band.
This is another informal event. You’ll bring your blankets and food. We’ll attempt to coordinate a meeting space and bring the MoTAS banner. We’ll join together under the summer sun in what passes for fresh air in Woodland Hills to listen to wonderful music that all ages can enjoy. We hope you’ll join us. You can RSVP online at http://tinyurl.com/2015-motas-concert
Our second Shabbabaque of the summer will be extra special, as we’ll be kicking off the 50th anniversary celebration of the merger of North Valley Reform and Temple Beth Torah of San Fernando Valley to create Temple Ahavat Shalom in 1965. In commemoration, the August Shabbabaque will be celebrating all things sixties. So come out in your best sixties duds with your best sixties moves to celebrate one of the best things that happened in the sixties. This special Shabbabaque will feature a celebratory summer TAS Shabbat service with a barbeque dinner cooked by the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom.
Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from the TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. The menu typically includes chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers, along with Caesar salad (no chicken in the salad), plus all the sides. Afterwards, there will be sixties dancing, games from the sixties, and a wonderful Sisterhood oneg (they may even have brownies). There will also be a costume contest.
Registration is now open at http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. For this special Shabbabaque, the cost is $8 for children 11 and under, and $12 for adults. The price goes up $5 at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, August 19, 2015, so get your reservations in early.
Summer is Football Squares season! It’s an easy way to support TAS and possibly win a little back. $50 gets you a random square on the board, where randomized rows and columns have the digits 0 through 9. During Monday Night Football season, match the last digit of the home and away team scores in a quarter and win! More information, complete rules, and signup forms is at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org; forms may also be found in the TAS Foyer. If you have any questions, contact Bob Levine (818-271-1282, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kathy Pullman (email@example.com).
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!