In This Issue:
- FEBRUARY MEETING 2/8: CHANGE OF SPEAKER / LOTS GOING ON
- FEBRUARY MENS HANG-OUT WITH THE RABBI – DATE CHANGE
- MOTAS ANNUAL APPEAL – PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUPPORT MOTAS
- 2015 GOLF TOURNAMENT – HOLD THE DATE
- SUPERBOWL SQUARES WINNERS
- PURIM CARNIVAL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- SUPPORT OUR MAN OF THE YEAR – BOB LEVINE
- MoTAS SHABBAT MEMORIES
- 50TH ANNIVERSARY HELP NEEDED
- IN CLOSING
1. FEBRUARY MEETING 2/8: CHANGE OF SPEAKER / LOTS GOING ON
*** CHANGE OF SPEAKER *** Our Speaker: Randy Thompson, Master Gardener on Home Composting.. Unfortunately, I learned Monday that Hal Daum, our originally scheduled speaker, is recuperating from unexpected surgery and will be unable to be with us this Sunday (we’ll reschedule him later in the year). So…
As Tu B’Shevat (the birthday for the trees) was Tuesday evening, we decided to go with a T B’Shevat theme instead — compost. Why buy expensive fertilizer when you can compost at home with little effort. We invite you to join MoTAS on Sunday, February 8th (8:45 AM – Breakfast; 9:00 AM – Activity Review; 10:00 AM – Speaker) as we listen to Randy Thompson, Master Gardner with the UC Master Gardener program tell us all about home composting and sustainable food. Master Gardeners are volunteers from the community who are trained by the University of California Cooperative Extension specialists and other qualified instructors using research-based information to promote environmentally responsible and sustainable horticultural practices in the home, community and school landscapes. Master Gardeners extend research-based information by conducting workshops and demonstrations, diagnosing plant and pest problems, speaking to community groups, educating teachers and parents at school gardens, and answering gardening questions at fairs and farmers markets as well as on email and phone helplines.
Bone Marrow Testing – Support Brian Hatkoff. For many years, Brian Hatkoff has been there for MoTAS / Men’s Club and MRJ in many many ways. Brian’s wife, Cheryl, is dealing with Leukemia. To support her, Brian and TAS have organized Bone Marrow testing parallel to the MoTAS Meeting, from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM. Here’s how you can help: (1) If you are between 18 and 44, get tested on Sunday — all it takes is a simple cheek swab; (2) Help encourage other adults on Sunday to get tested, especially as they arrive and drop off their children. MoTAS will arrange 20-30 minute shifts to do this so you don’t have to miss the entire meeting; we also encourage you to get your partners to come out and help. You can also sign up at http://www.BeTheMatch.org/ for a mailed kit.
Help Make a MoTAS Purim Video. In support of the congregation’s upcoming celebration of Purim, the Rabbi has asked all committees, boards, and auxiliaries to be part of this year’s TAS Purim video (which is based on Taylor Swift’s “Shake it Off” video at http://youtu.be/nfWlot6h_JM). They would like the record MoTAS doing something creative, fun, silly to the music in the video. We don’t need to do the entire song — just a short segment that can be edited in with everyone else’s. We’re looking for people to produce, direct, perform, etc. This needs to be done fairly quickly, so those interested should plan on meeting after the Speaker finished. When the video is completed, we will send it to Ryan Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org), who has graciously agreed to put this video together for us. In the final version, Taylor’s singing will be replaced with Purim lyrics — so we can use a Purim theme and characters if we want.
2. FEBRUARY MENS HANG-OUT WITH THE RABBI – DATE CHANGE
When we scheduled the February Men’s Hangout and Discussion, we forgot about one thing: the Academy Awards. In deference to those who want to want to watch the Oscars®, we’re pushing back the meeting one week to Sunday, March 1 — same location, same price, same menu. Please update your calendars, and if you RSVPed previously and can no longer make the event, please let Dave Friedman know at email@example.com.
3. MOTAS ANNUAL APPEAL – PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUPPORT MOTAS
By now, you should have received your annual appeal letter from MoTAS. Remember that MoTAS no longer collects dues; this is the one time of year we ask for your direct support to MoTAS. Help prove that our experiment in inclusivity can work. You can find more information at http://support.tasnorthridge-motas.org/.
4. 2015 GOLF TOURNAMENT – HOLD THE DATE
MoTAS is pleased to announce the date for the 2015 Charity Golf Tournament: Monday, October 19, 2015 at Calabasas Country Club. Please mark the date on your calendars now, and place to attend. Organizing meetings for the 2015 tournament will be starting soon; if you would like to be part of the organizing committee, please contact Barry Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. SUPERBOWL SQUARES WINNERS
The Superbowl was played Sunday, February 1, 2015. The winner was the New England Patriots. We are pleased to announce the following winners of our Superbowl Squares 2015 activity:
- Q1: New England Patriots 0, Seattle Seahawks 0. winner: Bob Ingrum.
- Q2: New England Patriots 4, Seattle Seahawks 4. winner: Robyn Blachman.
- Q3: New England Patriots 4, Seattle Seahawks 4. winner: Robyn Blachman.
- Final: New England Patriots 8 ,Seattle Seahawks 4. winner: Jeff Shulman
Of course, the real winner is Temple Ahavat Shalom. We had a fully subscribed board, meaning that $900 will be available to support specific temple activities, organizations, and projects. We hope to be able to announce allocations shortly.
Next Up: NCAA Basketball Squares for the NCAA Final Four games. Sales will officially begin at the Sunday February 8 meeting (but if you know where to look, wink wink website, you can get a jump on registration).
6. PURIM CARNIVAL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
The TAS Purim Carnival is Sunday, March 8. In addition to the Purim Video mentioned in the first item, MoTAS is looking for volunteers to help the day of the Purim Carnival. We need volunteers in the following areas:
- Helping to assemble and serve falafel sandwiches, as well as serving other donated food items including pizza, salad, hamentashen, snacks, soft drinks.
- Helping pick up donated food items prior to the carnival.
- Helping set up prior to the carnival, including prep of the food serving station.
- Loans of pop-up tents to use the day of the carnival to provide shade. The Temple has liability insurance in case any harm is caused by those tents in a windstorm.
- Organizers for a poker game to be held during the tournament.
If you would be interested in volunteering, please sign the sheet that will be passed around during the meeting, or contact Bob Levin at email@example.com.
7. SUPPORT OUR MAN OF THE YEAR – BOB LEVINE
At thje MoTAS Shabbat on January 23, Bob Levine was announced as the 2015 MoTAS Man of the Year. On Saturday, March 7, 2015, our honoree will be recognized at the MRJ Regional Man of the Year dinner, hosted at Temple Beth David in Westminster, CA. We hope you can be there to support our honoree, so mark your calendar now. The cost will be $36.00 per person. You can RSVP online at http://moydinner.tasnorthridge-motas.org/; a signup sheet will be available at the MoTAS Meeting. Send you check for $36, indicating your dinner choice (Brisket, Salmon, or Vegetarian) to Roger Lowe in care of the Temple at 18200 Rinaldi Place, Northridge CA 91326. Make the check payable to “MoTAS | TAS Mens Club” .
8. MoTAS SHABBAT MEMORIES
If you missed our MoTAS Shabbat on January 23rd, you missed a very special evening. But fear not; you can relive it. The service featured reflections from MoTAS members on who MoTAS means to them, a special D’var Torah about leadership, a special Kaddish introduction about important men in our lives, and of course, the introduction of our Man of the Year, Bob Levine. We’re collecting all of the member-written components and have posted them on our website in the MoTAS-Shabbat category. You can read them at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/category/motas-shabbat/. Additionally, you can find pictures from the evening, taken by Al Lapides, at http://www.tasnorthridge.org/men-of-tas-shabbat-january-23-2015/.
9. 50TH ANNIVERSARY HELP NEEDED
(1) In support of the 50th Anniversary planning effort, MoTAS is looking for a MoTAS member who is willing to be a liasion between MoTAS and the planning committee. You would attend planning committee meetings, and report back to MoTAS leadership on the activity and how to integrate MoTAS. If you would like to volunteer for this position, please drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. (2) Additionally, We’re looking for a Confirmation class student who is interested in history to research the history of the Men’s organization at TAS, which over the years has gone by the names “Brotherhood”, “Men’s Club”, and the current MoTAS. We have some information going back to the mid-1990s, but nothing before. The task would involve finding the temple’s archives (especially newsletter archives), and reviewing them to rebuld the history. The student would be invited to present their research at a future MoTAS meeting, and would earn Avodah credit. If you would like to volunteer for this position, or know of someone who would like to do it, please drop me a note at email@example.com. This task is open to either gender.
10. IN CLOSING
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!