- ACTIVE SHOOTER TRAINING – TUE DEC 3
- MOTAS MONTHLY MEETING – SUN DEC 8
- SUPERBOWL SQUARES NOW ON SALE
- UPCOMING ACTIVITIES — HOLD THOSE DATES
- THANK YOU TO THE HOLIDAY BOUTIQUE VOLUNTEERS
- IN CLOSING
1. ACTIVE SHOOTER TRAINING – TUE DEC 3
The Active Shooter Training is just one week away on Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary.
The training being done at TAS is an adapted version through the Los Angeles Police Department which expands the use of Run, Hide, Fight originally developed by the Department of Homeland Security. In addition to the Run, Hide, Fight training we will also have a Stop the Bleed training. This training can be used anywhere there is a casualty with heavy bleeding.
Please sign up for the training. Click here to sign up.
Our next membership meeting will be Sunday, December 8, 2019, at the usual time in the usual place (i.e., 8:45am in the northernmost rooms of the Activity Center). This may be our last meeting in the Activity Center. Our speaker will be Dr. Hal Bass. Hal will be presenting a discussion on Edward VIII and Wallis Warfield Simpson, highlighting their love of Hitler, Edward’s abdication and revelations of anti-Semitism that was previously presented for the CSUN SAGE Society.
As always, our meeting will start with our usual MoTAS breakfast, followed by a short business meeting and our speaker. Please bring a potential active member with you: this is the best way to introduce someone to all the great guys in our group.
The regular football season is nearly over, and now is the time to buy a Superbowl Square. The cost is only $25 per square, and you can help Temple Ahavat Shalom while potentially rewarding yourself. The price is the same as last year, although on-line registrations now have a small handling fee from TicketLeap that we used to absorb — this allows reduces the cost to MoTAS and allows us to do more for TAS. Payouts are the same: $230 for each quarter, and $460 for the final score. A full board of 91 squares pays out $1150 to players, and $1125 to MoTAS. You can find the rules of the game, register and pay online, or find a form that you can print and mail in, at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org/.
The following MoTAS events will be occurring in the next few months. Please mark them on your calendars now. More information will be in the weekly as soon as sign in sheets and pricing information becomes available:
- MoTAS Jewish Xmas. Wednesday December 25. You bring the movie, we’ll arrange the Chinese dinner. Basically, we make a group reservation at a local Chinese restaurant so that we can all get together after our afternoon movies for dinner. Saves you the hassle of waiting for a table, and make it easier for the restaurant to have a fixed menu. Win win. Larry Pfeffer is currently coordinating with the restaurant; as soon as we have details, we’ll set up the sign in.
- MoTAS Shabbat. Friday, January 10. This is the Shabbat where MoTAS leads the service, and the Man of the Year is recognized. Bob Levine will be coordinating. We have set up a volunteer sign up sheet for those that want to participate in the service: just visit https://volunteersignup.org/F8B9D to sign up.
- Tu B’Shevat Seder. Sunday, February 8. This is a seder for Tu B’Shevat that MoTAS leads for the religious school. Tu B’Shevat starts the evening of Sunday February 8, so we will likely do the seder that morning.
- MRJ Man of the Year Dinner. Saturday, March 14. Mark the date on your calendar now for the annual Man of the Year dinner, where our MoTAS honoreee will be feted together with all the other outstanding men from the region. Location to be announced.
Thanks to everyone who helped out serving lunch for the Sisterhood Holiday Boutique. While it is not a big deal, the time that was given helped to feed about 60 people. Your help was appreciated by the MoTAS Leadership as well as Sisterhood and the temple.
Howard took the remaining pizzas and sandwiches to LAPD Devonshire Division and they were very appreciative. Sisterhood even gave him a bunch of pastries to bring.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!