- JULY DINING DOES GOOD – PIZZAREV ON JULY 24
- MoTAS ACTION ALERTS: WE NEED YOUR RESPONSES
- SIGN UP FOR THE AUGUST SHABBABAQUE
- 2017 GOLF TOURNAMENT — HELP MOTAS HELP TAS
- FOOTBALL SQUARES ARE ON SALE
- IN CLOSING
THIS MONDAY IS OUR JULY “DINING DOES GOOD”: At PizzaRev in Northridge in support of MoTAS and TAS High. You can find a flyer for the event at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/. We really encourage you to come and support these events: we raise a little extra funds for various groups, but more importantly, we come together and break bread as a Temple family on a regular basis. It is a real joy to walk into a neighborhood restaurant and see your Temple friends, to sit down and share a table and talk. This is the heart and goal of MoTAS: Building Relationships.
For the August heat, we’re working on something cool: Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt!
Your MoTAS Executive Board has been busy planning the schedule for the upcoming year; you can see it at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/upcoming-activities/. However, we need your help and response for a number of upcoming activities:
- Challah Making This Friday (July 21). The Temple and the ECEC will be making Challah before services THIS FRIDAY. It would be great if some MoTAS members can be there to help in any way: putting out some soft drinks, helping to clean up, etc. This is a great way to get to know some of the ECEC dads.
- August Social Get-Together. We’re planning an evening social get together at a local restaurant on our normal meeting date, Sunday, August 13, if there is enough interest. This isn’t a business meeting — just a time to get together, talk, and have fun. If we get sufficient interest, we’ll contact those who RSVP with the location and the amount (if we are doing a fixed-price meal). [Click Here If You Are Interested]
- Pancake Breakfast Volunteers. The opening day for TAS Religious School — and MoTAS’ welcoming Pancake Breakfast — will be Sunday, August 27. We need volunteers to help shop, set up, cook, and clean up. Especially the latter. [Click Here To Volunteer For The Pancake Breakfast]
- Sukkah Building. The High Holydays are nearly here. That means Sukkah Building Time is nearing. In the past, we’ve gotten s’chach from Valley Crest Gardening, but they have changed owners and are no longer providing it. For those of you with gardeners, it would really help us if you could talk to them and see if they might be able to donate us palm fronds about a week before we start building the Sukkah (we’ll be glad to provide a donation letter). We’ll be building the Sukkah on Sunday, October 1st; Yom Kippur is from the evening of Friday, September 29 to sundown on Saturday, September 30. If your gardner will be able to help, [Click Here] and we will be in contact with you.
Signups are now open for the second Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, August 18th. Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from our rockin’ TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. Meat items will include turkey burgers, sirloin burgers, and Hebrew National hot dogs. Vegetarian items will include veggie patties, roasted vegetables, and baked potatoes. Afterwards, there will be a wonderful Sisterhood oneg. The full menu is on the Shabbabaque event page. Our goal is for everyone to be happy. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us at the email address below.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, August 18, 2017
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 8/16 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that registrations received after Weds 8/18 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
Reservation for this event by August 16th is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of late-registration tickets are available at the door.
Hillel 818 Students, Staff, Parents and Supporters: Hillel 818 Students, Staff, Parents and Supporters (and their guest) are invited to music-filled Shabbat under the sunset, immediately followed by a full dinner buffet. No cost, no kidding! Registration by the registration deadline is all that is required. ONLINE ONLY.
TAS Invite a Friends/Family: We invite you to to bring a guest to the Shabbabaque so that they can see the Rockin’ place that is TAS. No cost, no kidding! You’ll find a special line item on the electronic registration for these guests. Please note: This offer applies only to residents of the San Fernando Valley not currently or previously affiliated with Temple Ahavat Shalom. This offer does not apply to late registrations. ONLINE ONLY.
ECEC and Infant Toddler Center Families: We invite you to become part of our family. For the price of an adult Shabbabaque registration, you can bring your entire family. You can also bring guests as part of “Invite a friend”. Note: You do need to register the family members, just so we can know how much to order. ONLINE ONLY.
To volunteer to help at the event, please contact MoTAS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you ever think that a day on the links could help your temple? It can. When you play in the 2017 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament on Monday, September 18, 2017, you’ll be raising funds to help MoTAS do all that it does — including contribute to the TAS General Fund. The more we raise, the more we can help our temple. We’re at a new course this year: Sunset Hills Country Club in Thousand Oaks, CA. It will be a fun day on a beautiful golf course raising money to help MoTAS, TAS, and the groups we support. Bring a friend and enjoy our scramble tournament format, complete with lunch and dinner reception. We will have a silent auction, several contests, and prizes!
Don’t play golf? You can still help. You can bring in other players, you can help us find course sponsors, you can donate prizes to our silent auction. It doesn’t cost much to help. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player. This is extremely low; another charity golf tournament that just sent mail to us is charging $375!
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our Tournament Program is provided to all attendees. Show your support by purchasing an ads or a message. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
Summer is Football Squares season! It’s an easy way to support TAS and possibly win a little back. $50 gets you a random square on the board, where randomized rows and columns have the digits 0 through 9. During Monday Night Football season, match the last digit of the home and away team scores in a quarter and win! More information, complete rules, online signup, and signup forms are available at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org, or contact Bob Levine (818-271-1282, email@example.com) or Kathy Pullman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Forms will soon be available in the Temple Foyer. Funds raised by the Sports Squares programs are used to fund specific needs that are often unfunded, and expenditures are distinct from MoTAS’ general fund contributions. Registration closes at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 8.
As you recall, the net proceeds for the Football Squares goes to support TAS projects that cannot be funded, either adequately, or at all, by current temple budgeting. It is your support that makes these things happen. As a result of your participation and support, the temple has had a major overhaul to the kitchen, and we have been able to offer more campership funds to allow our youth to go to Jewish camp in the summer.
Please support us this year, as you have in the past. All the information about the game, as well as sign-up instructions, are available at our website:
We hope you can see your way to be part of our team this season. You might win some money, but the temple is the big winner. A warm thank-you from the Men of TAS.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!