- JUNE SHABBABAQUE (FRI JUN 16): LAST REGISTRATION CHANCE BEFORE RATES GO UP
- JUNE DINING DOES GOOD – PRESTO PASTA ON JUN 19
- FOOTBALL SQUARES ARE ON SALE
- 2017 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISE
- BAGS OF HOPE
- SPECIAL CONGREGATIONAL MEETING: JUNE 25
- IN CLOSING
This is your last chance to sign up at the discounted rate for the first Shabbabaque of the summer on Friday, June 16th. Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from our rockin’ TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. Meat items will include turkey burgers, sirloin burgers, and Hebrew National hot dogs. Vegetarian items will include veggie patties, green and yellow squash roasted with garlic, and baked potatoes. Afterwards, there will be a wonderful Sisterhood oneg. The full menu is on the Shabbabaque event page. Our goal is for everyone to be happy. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us at the email address below.
The next Shabbabaque is:
- Date: Friday, June 16, 2017
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabaque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/14 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/14 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservation for this event by June 14th is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of late-registration tickets are available at the door.
Do you know a Hillel 818 Students, Staff, Parents or Supporter? Hillel 818 Students, Staff, Parents and Supporters (and their guest) are invited to music-filled Shabbat under the sunset, immediately followed by a full dinner buffet. No cost, no kidding! Registration by the registration deadline is all that is required.
TAS Invite a Friends/Family: At the May 21, 2017 Congregational Meeting, our MoTAS President, Frank Soronow, invited the congregation to bring a guest to the Shabbabaque so that they can see the Rockin’ place that is TAS. No cost, no kidding! You’ll find a special line item on the electronic registration for these guests. Please note: This offer applies only to residents of the San Fernando Valley not currently affiliated with Temple Ahavat Shalom. This offer does not apply to late registrations.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit https://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=174358872.
Our June “Dining Does Good” will be Monday, June 19 at Presto Pasta in Granada Hills in support of MoTAS and Kesher (formerly Synaplex). You can find a flyer for the event at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/. We really encourage you to come and support these events: we raise a little extra funds for various groups, but more importantly, we come together and break bread as a Temple family on a regular basis. It is a real joy to walk into a neighborhood restaurant and see your Temple friends, to sit down and share a table and talk. This is the heart and goal of MoTAS: Building Relationships.
We’re in the process of arranging our July Dining Out, which will be on July 24 at PizzaRev in Northridge.
Summer is Football Squares season! It’s an easy way to support TAS and possibly win a little back. $50 gets you a random square on the board, where randomized rows and columns have the digits 0 through 9. During Monday Night Football season, match the last digit of the home and away team scores in a quarter and win! More information, complete rules, online signup, and signup forms are available at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org, or contact Bob Levine (818-271-1282, email@example.com) or Kathy Pullman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Forms will soon be available in the Temple Foyer. Funds raised by the Sports Squares programs are used to fund specific needs that are often unfunded, and expenditures are distinct from MoTAS’ general fund contributions. Registration closes at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 8.
As you recall, the net proceeds for the Football Squares goes to support TAS projects that cannot be funded, either adequately, or at all, by current temple budgeting. It is your support that makes these things happen. As a result of your participation and support, the temple has had a major overhaul to the kitchen, and we have been able to offer more campership funds to allow our youth to go to Jewish camp in the summer.
Please support us this year, as you have in the past. All the information about the game, as well as sign-up instructions, are available at our website:
We hope you can see your way to be part of our team this season. You might win some money, but the temple is the big winner. A warm thank-you from the Men of TAS.
The 2017 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament will be Monday, September 18, 2017. We’re at a new course this year: Sunset Hills Country Club in Thousand Oaks, CA. This event is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our Tournament Program is provided to all attendees. Show your support by purchasing an ads or a message. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
Sally, a current Confirmation Class student started Bags of Hope, which was hugely successful in that it supplied much needed (and simple) supplies to be handed out to the homeless living on our streets in the Valley. It has now been taken up as an endeavor by the TAS Social Action Committee. We’re trying to get volunteers and these much needed supplies collected by this year’s Mitzvah Day so we can distribute them on the streets. All help is welcomed and Rick Mervis (email@example.com) can supply a list of the items we’re trying to collect at the next MoTAS meeting. If you need more specifics please let him know. Homelessness is an abhorrent problem that should not exist. These Bags of Hope are to assemble simple and the least we can do to help.
There will be a special congregational meeting on Sunday, June 25, where we will be receiving an update on the congregational budget, and voting to approve it for the fiscal year starting July 1. A quorum will be required for this meeting to work. It is vital that MoTAS shows our strength and demonstrates we are there when the congregation needs us by being there. The meeting starts at 10 AM.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!