In This Issue:
- LAST CHANCE: FOOTBALL SQUARES
- LAST CHANCE II: GOLF TOURNAMENT
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: PANCAKE BREAKFAST (SUN 9/11)
- DINING DOES GOOD: WEILERS DELI (MON 9/12)
- SEPTEMBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 9/18)
- OCTOBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 10/9): MOVIE AND DISCUSSION (RSVPs NEEDED)
- ALLAN SHERMAN CONCERT (SAT 10/29): TICKETING IS NOW OPEN
- MOTAS DRESS SHIRTS: IS THERE INTEREST?
- IN CLOSING
1. LAST CHANCE: FOOTBALL SQUARES
Monday Night Football starts two weeks from Monday, meaning you have just over one week to purchase your Square. If you’ve been putting it off, now is the time to do it. There are only a few spaces left on the board. Ensure your space now! Buy a football square. It’s an easy way to support TAS and possibly win a little back. $50 gets you a random square on the board, where randomized rows and columns have the digits 0 through 9. During Monday Night Football season, match the last digit of the home and away team scores in a quarter and win! More information, complete rules, online signup, and signup forms are available at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org, or contact Bob Levine (818-271-1282, email@example.com) or Kathy Pullman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Forms are also available in the Temple Foyer. Funds raised by the Sports Squares programs are used to fund specific needs that are often unfunded, and expenditures are distinct from MoTAS’ general fund contributions. Registration closes at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 9.
As you recall, the net proceeds for the Football Squares goes to support TAS projects that cannot be funded, either adequately, or at all, by current temple budgeting. It is your support that makes these things happen. As a result of your participation and support, the temple has had a major overhaul to the kitchen, and we have been able to offer more campership funds to allow our youth to go to Jewish camp in the summer.
Please support us this year, as you have in the past. All the information about the game, as well as sign-up instructions, are available at our website:
2. LAST CHANCE II: GOLF TOURNAMENT
The 2016 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and is just three weeks away. Now is the time to sign up your foursome or to sponsor the tournament! This tournament provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. It is vital that every member of MoTAS help us with the Golf Tournament. Helping is easy, and you don’t even need to be a golfer. Here are some ways that you can help:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player. Even if you can’t or don’t play, you can recruit your friends and co-workers to play. Bring in a foursome.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Everyone can participate in the tournament program: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
- Volunteer. We need people to volunteer to staff games at the hotels and help with checkin and event logistics, as well as shopping before the event. If you are able to volunteer all or part of the day, please sign up at http://tinyurl.com/motas-golf16-vol.
- Spread the Word. Spread the word about this event to our sibling Brotherhoods, Mens Clubs, and Synagogues. Similar groups that bring in players can receive a portion of the signup fee — win-win for all involved!
Do you know someone in a neighboring congregation? Spread the word about our Brothership Benefits. The Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom have a special promotion for our sibling Brotherhoods: Indicate your brotherhood on your registration form and encourage others from your Brotherhood to participate, sponsor, and advertise, and MoTAS will provide the following benefits: 10% rebate to your mens club for any single golfer, 20% rebate for any golf foursome, and a 20% rebate on any sponsorship or calendar/ad book ads.
The tournament is Monday, September 19, 2016. More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
3. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: PANCAKE BREAKFAST (SUN 9/11)
On Sunday, September 11, join the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom starting at 8:45 AM in the Social Hall as we host our traditional Pancake Breakfast for the first day of religious school. The morning provides you the opportunity to learn about the different ways to get involved with TAS and strengthen that relationship. As parents, we are the role models for our children. If we get involved with the synagogue, we’re demonstrating to our children the value of involvement.
If you would like to volunteer to help at the Pancake Breakfast, please RSVP online at http://tinyurl.com/motas-pancake16.
P.S.: This pancake breakfast will be free for parents, students, and teachers. If you would like to help underwrite this event, please contact Roger Lowe or make a donation at our donations page.
4. DINING DOES GOOD: WEILERS DELI (MON 9/12)
MoTAS is bringing back a regular dining out night, where local restaurants donate a percentage of your bill back to MoTAS. Each dining out night MoTAS will partner with a temple group and split any proceeds. This is an easy and fun way to socialize while raising funds. Our first “Dining Does Good” will be all day, Monday, September 12 at Weilers in Northridge. Information and a printable flyer may be found at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/.
5. SEPTEMBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 9/18)
Frank has started planning for our first formal meeting of the year, and it should be good. I’m hearing tales of Jackie Mason and Hal Bass, which is an intriguing combination. So mark your calendars for Sunday, September 18 at the usual time — 8:45 AM for breakfast, 9:00 AM for the activity summary, and 10 AM for the speaker. That day is also a Temple Open House, so bring a friend to the open house and to the meeting.
6. OCTOBER MONTHLY MEETING (SUN 10/9): MOVIE AND DISCUSSION (RSVPs NEEDED)
We’re changing things up for October. Specifics are being arranged right now, but the plan is to do a group outing to see the new movie Denial, a docudrama about the battle between Dr. Deborah Lipstadt and David Irving about his attempt to deny that the Holocaust ever happened. The preliminary plan is to meet at the Temple around noonish for a nosh, some preliminary background and discussion (and the obligatory announcements), and then carpool down to the AMC Promenade 16 for the 2:00 PM show. After the show, we’ll reconvene at Temple for a discussion of the movie. Prices are still to be determined, but we’ve set up a simple RSVP to gauge interest. We need at last 25 reservations to get group ticket rates. RSVP at http://tinyurl.com/motas-denial-rsvp.
Here’s the description of the movie:
Based on the acclaimed book Denial: Holocaust History on Trial , DENIAL recounts Deborah E. Lipstadt’s (Academy Award ® winner Rachel Weisz) legal battle for historical truth against David Irving (BAFTA nominee Timothy Spall), who accused her of libel when she declared him a Holocaust denier. In the English legal system, in cases of libel, the burden of proof is on the defendant, therefore it was up to Lipstadt and her legal team, led by Richard Rampton (Academy Award ® nominee Tom Wilkinson), to prove the essential truth that the Holocaust occurred.
You can see a trailer for the movie at https://youtu.be/Gfyw7Uz8_2A.
7. ALLAN SHERMAN CONCERT (SAT 10/29): TICKETING IS NOW OPEN
Before “Weird Al” Yankovic there was another “Al” – Allan Sherman – who became an instant celebrity in 1962 when he sang and recorded his devilishly clever parody lyrics on the album “My Son, The Folk Singer.” His zany songs hit just the right nerve with the American public and his first three Warner Bros. albums shot to Number One. Linden’s show is a tribute to the man and his music. MoTAS and TAS Sisterhood will be hosting a joint concert in tribute to Allan Sherman on Saturday, October 29, at 8pm (with a dessert reception to follow). Pricing is $25 for adults, $18 for children 18 and under, and sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information, including online ticketing, visit http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/sherman/.
This event is open to the general public. Please spread the word to all your friends who love Allan Sherman. It is sure to be a great night.
8. MOTAS DRESS SHIRTS: IS THERE INTEREST?
When MoTAS does something, we like to do it right. This includes dressing appropriate for Shabbat and events. To that end, we’re exploring purchasing white dress shirts embroidered with the MoTAS logo. These shirts could be worn at Shabbabaques, the MoTAS Shabbat, the Man of the Year dinner, and at any temple event we want to promote MoTAS while looking a bit more formal than a T-Shirt.
Pricing depends on how many we order, but we’re looking at anywhere between $20 and $30 a shirt. Here’s one example at around $20, and here’s another.
If you would be interested in ordering such a MoTAS dress shirt, please RSVP at http://tinyurl.com/motas-shirt-survey.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!