- JUNE SHABBABEQUE THANK YOUS
- AUGUST OUTING TO THE JETHAWKS – SUN 8/7
- AUGUST SHABABBEQUE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED — FRI 8/19
- 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISE
- HELLO MUDDAH HELLO FADDAH – WE’VE A CONCERT IN OCTOBAH
- BECOME A FRIEND OF SISTERHOOD
- IN CLOSING
Thank you to all the folks who volunteered for Shabbabaque in June 2016. Your service is important and makes our congregation a happier place. I know you don’t volunteer to be recognized, but your service is important. The men who shopped, cooked, served and cleaned are: Hal Bass, Lee Baum, Les Birken, Bob Bostoff, Daniel Faigin, Dave Friedman, Bob Levine, Roger Lowe, Barry Mann, Rick Mervis, Howard Miller, Michael Rayfield, Steve Rosen, Bill Shapiro, David Silverman, Shelly Spector, Robert Spier, Ben Tenn, and Scott Yollis. I’d also like to thank our friends Kathy Pullman, Karen Davis and Alia Yollis for serving with the men. Cindy Tenn and Judy Stehr for packing and donating leftovers. Sheila Reback for tablecloths and decorations. Steven Zonis for refurbishing and donating a gas grill. Larry Pfefer for installing a Swamp Cooler that feeds the kitchen with cool air. The leadership of MoTAS is grateful to all who attended. Happy people make the world a better place. See you at the next event.
Registration is now open for our second Jethawks Baseball Family Event on Sunday, August 7th — visit http://jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org to register. This will be an outing to “The Hanger” in Lancaster (about a hour drive from TAS) on a Sunday evening to see the Jethawks play. The cost will be $9 per person (with a slight convenience charge for online credit-card registrations). If you haven’t been to a minor-league baseball game, they are an order of magnitude more fun than an outing to the Dodgers. The stadium is small, the food is inexpensive, and the goal is just to have a great time. The Jethawks (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t491) are the minor-league team for the Houston Astros. They will be playing the Modesto Nuts. The game is an early evening game (so we’re not sitting in the hot Lancaster sun for as long), allowing us to arrive at the stadium around 430pm, watch the game starting at 5:05 PM, and be home by 10 pm (the game should end around 8pm). We encourage you to bring your kids and grandkids. The more the merrier.
Registration information may be found at jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org.
Volunteers are needed for the August Shabbabeque — many of our current crew will be unavailable. To volunteer, just visit http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=175346712 and add your name to the list. We will be in touch with you regarding how you can help us. Remember: This is a great opportunity for teens to earn mitzvah credit towards camperships.
The August Shabbabeque will be Friday, August 19. Shabbabeque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from the TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. The menu typically includes chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers, along with Caesar salad (no chicken in the salad), plus all the sides [menu subject to change regarding the sides].
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, August 19, 2016
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 8/17 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 8/17 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-reservation for this event is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of tickets are available at the door.
The 2016 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament will be Monday, September 19, 2016. This event is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our Tournament Program is a printed calendar of Temple events throughout the year, surrounded by ads and messages from members and businesses. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
Planning is underway for a joint MoTAS/Sisterhood fundraising concern on October 29th, featuring Linden Waddell‘s show, Hello Again, the Songs of Allen Sherman. Before “Weird Al” Yankovic there was another “Al” – Allan Sherman – who became an instant celebrity in 1962 when he sang and recorded his devilishly clever parody lyrics on the album “My Son, The Folk Singer.” His zany songs hit just the right nerve with the American public and his first three Warner Bros. albums shot to Number One. Linden’s show is a tribute to the man and his music.
More details will be forthcoming, including event pricing and sponsorship opportunities. For now, please put a HOLD on your calendar for the evening of October 29th. It should be a great evening. This event will be open to the public.
The Sisterhood bylaws state “Any woman who is interested in the activities of this Sisterhood and satisfies the membership requirements of the Temple shall be eligible for Sisterhood membership.” This means that men can’t be members and anyone who is not a Temple member cannot be a Sisterhood member. Sisterhood membership comes with perks, including 1) the ability to vote in elections and for bylaws changes, 2) the ability attend our paid-up luncheon in the fall, 3) the ability to attend monthly programs for free, 4) the ability to participate in our Board and make decisions about Sisterhood, and 5) the ability to earn the privilege of attending the donor lunch for free by participating in our Donor program.
After several months of discussion, the Sisterhood Board decided that individuals who are not eligible for Membership (men; non-Temple members) who contribute to Sisterhood an amount equal to the Sisterhood dues, will be designated a “Friend of Sisterhood” and will be able to attend our paid-up event and will be able to attend Sisterhood events at the same price as a Sisterhood member. Someone who is a “Friend of Sisterhood” is not a member of Sisterhood, and consequently would not be able to vote in Sisterhood elections, hold an elected office or chair a committee. The “Friends of Sisterhood” program allows male Temple members and others in the community who support Sisterhood to show their support by becoming our Friend. It means husbands of Sisterhood members can become our Friends and can join their wives at our programs without paying the $5 fee. It means we are a more inclusive and welcoming organization.
Please contact Cheryl Frumes at email@example.com for more information.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!