In This Issue:
- ATTENTION: SHABBABEQUE VOLUNTEERS!
- JUNE SHABBABEQUE 6/17: RESERVE NOW – PRICES GO UP WEDS 6/15 @ 6PM
- JUNE MENS HANGOUT – SUN 6/26
- LINKS FROM OUR YIDDISH SPEAKER
- 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISEx
- MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
- IN CLOSING
1. ATTENTION: SHABBABEQUE VOLUNTEERS!
If you can shop on Thursday, please contact Frank Soronow at email@example.com.
Those who are volunteering on Friday: Please show up Friday at 2:30 PM, or as early after that as you can make it.
2. JUNE SHABBABEQUE 6/17: RESERVE NOW – PRICES GO UP WEDS 6/15 @ 6PM
Shabbabeque is this Friday! Make your reservations before 6PM TODAY (Wednesday) to help us know how much food to buy, and to save you money. Shabbabeque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from the TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. The menu typically includes chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers, along with Caesar salad (no chicken in the salad), plus all the sides [menu subject to change regarding the sides].
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 17, 2016
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/15 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/15 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
Pre-reservation for this event is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of tickets are available at the door.
3. JUNE MENS HANGOUT – SUN 6/26
On Sunday, June 26th at 6:00 PM we’re going to be having our last Mens Hangout at our usual secret location. Dave Friedman, our event coordinator, will be picking up pizza, pasta, salad, and beverages (including adult beverages) for the low cost of $15. Space is limited, so RSVP to Dave Friedman (at 818/970-7701 or firstname.lastname@example.org) and mail your check for $15 (made payable to Dave Friedman) to Dave Friedman at 19707 Buckeye Meadow Lane, Porter Ranch CA 91326. Dave will provide you the location of the hang out once your reservation is confirmed. This is a Mens Only event.
Signup for the event at http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=174549455.
4. LINKS FROM OUR YIDDISH SPEAKER
At our June Membership meeting on Sunday, June 5, Erin Faigin presented her research on the history of Yiddish literature in Los Angeles. During the talk, she mentioned some links that we promised to provide to the membership:
- Archive of the Yiddish Literary Journal Kheshbn: http://escholarship.org/uc/ucla_cjs_kheshbn
- Recovering Yiddish Culture in Los Angeles: http://scalar.usc.edu/hc/recovering-yiddish-culture-in-los-angeles/index
5. 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISE
The 2016 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament will be Monday, September 19, 2016. This event is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our Tournament Program is a printed calendar of Temple events throughout the year, surrounded by ads and messages from members and businesses. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
6. MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
While cleaning the Mens Club closet, we discovered quite a stash of Mens Club and MoTAS items. Yes, I said Mens Club — because whatever the term, we’re a group of brothers working together for our Temple family. These items will be available for purchase at the Membership Meeting and at MoTAS events; or you can contact an officer and we’ll arrange to get you what you want (yes, we can take credit cards at the membership meeting):
- Light Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Medium Blue Men’s Club T-Shirt (1, L) – $10
- Dark Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Cobalt Blue Polo-Shirt (no pocket) with MoTAS on sleeve (L, XL) – $10
- MoTAS Aluminum Water Bottles – $10
- Knit African kippot (no logo) – $18
- Embroidered turquoise and gold kippot – $5
The knit African kippot are very nice — they stretch to be able to fit your head without having to use clips. They came to MoTAS via Barry Krowne’s daughter who was in Africa near the tribe that made them. Barry brought them back with him from one of his trips there. Some time later, Steven Zonis noticed that the Rabbi of that congregation (who just got elected as the first Jewish member of the Ugandan Parliament) was going to do a tour of the US, and suggested we invite him here. After a very long to-do regarding pricing, arrangements were made, and he visited us for weekend-in-residence.
Lastly, if you want items with the new logo, you can order them from our Cafe Press store at http://www.cafepress.com/motasshop.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!