In This Issue:
- JUNE SPEAKER: YIDDISH CULTURE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – SUNDAY, JUNE 5
- JUNE SHABBABEQUE: SIGN UP NOW / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – FRIDAY, JUNE 17
- MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
- 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISE
- IN CLOSING
1. JUNE SPEAKER: YIDDISH CULTURE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – SUNDAY, JUNE 5
Join us at our June Membership meeting on Sunday, June 5. Erin Faigin will be presenting new research on the history of Yiddish literature in Los Angeles. Her thesis, Kalifornyer Khaloymes: The Los Angeles Yiddish Culture Club and its Literary History, 1946-1966, won the Matilda Morrison Miller award for the best annual study by an undergraduate in the field of Western history in the UC Berkeley History Department. She describes her work as follows:
The Los Angeles Yiddish Culture Cub was founded in 1926, in an attempt to make a home for non-partisan Yiddish culture. In celebration of their twentieth anniversary in 1946, they published Kheshbn (Reckoning), the central expression of Yiddish literary culture in Los Angeles. Kheshbn continued to be published until 2007, becoming one of the longest running Yiddish periodicals of its kind. Within the archive of the LA Yiddish Culture Club, its back-issues and memorabilia, lies the story of a community of artists, many of them refugees, recording their past and trying to understand their present. Kheshbn evolved from a community register to a literary journal, one that was distinctly Californian and unforgettably Yiddish.
Erin will be sharing the stories of this community, and the vibrant Yiddish literary community that existed in Southern California.
As always, before the speaker, we will have our scrumptions MoTAS breakfast and our review of upcoming activities. Join us at 8:45 AM for Breakfast, with the event review starting at 9:00 AM. The speaker starts at 10AM.
2. JUNE SHABBABEQUE: SIGN UP NOW / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – FRIDAY, JUNE 17
Signups are now open for first Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, June 17th. Shabbabeque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from the TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. The menu typically includes chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers, along with Caesar salad (no chicken in the salad), plus all the sides.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 17, 2016
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/15 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/15 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-reservation for this event is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of tickets are available at the door.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=123343142. Frank Soronow is the event coordinator for the June 2016 Shabbabeque.
3. MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
While cleaning the Mens Club closet, we discovered quite a stash of Mens Club and MoTAS items. Yes, I said Mens Club — because whatever the term, we’re a group of brothers working together for our Temple family. These items will be available for purchase at the Membership Meeting and at MoTAS events; or you can contact an officer and we’ll arrange to get you what you want (yes, we can take credit cards at the membership meeting):
- Light Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Medium Blue Men’s Club T-Shirt (1, L) – $10
- Dark Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Cobalt Blue Polo-Shirt (no pocket) with MoTAS on sleeve (L, XL) – $10
- MoTAS Aluminum Water Bottles – $10
- Knit African kippot (no logo) – $18
- Embroidered turquoise and gold kippot – $5
The knit African kippot are very nice — they stretch to be able to fit your head without having to use clips. They came to MoTAS via Barry Krowne’s daughter who was in Africa near the tribe that made them. Barry brought them back with him from one of his trips there. Some time later, Steven Zonis noticed that the Rabbi of that congregation (who just got elected as the first Jewish member of the Ugandan Parliament) was going to do a tour of the US, and suggested we invite him here. After a very long to-do regarding pricing, arrangements were made, and he visited us for weekend-in-residence.
Lastly, if you want items with the new logo, you can order them from our Cafe Press store at http://www.cafepress.com/motasshop.
4. 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT — SIGN UP NOW TO PLAY, DONATE, OR ADVERTISE
The 2016 Annual MoTAS Charity Golf Tournament will be Monday, September 19, 2016. This event is the main fundraiser for MoTAS, and provides the funds that give us the ability to do all the good we do. Everyone in the congregation can help MoTAS by purchasing an $18 3-line message or $36 business card ad in the Tournament Program, by encouraging friends that golf to sign up and play on the tournament day, or by becoming a sponsor of the Golf Tournment:
- Play. Come out and play at the tournament. Entries are $215 per player.
- Sponsor. Companies and individuals can sponsor the tournament, starting at $180 for a Tee sign and going up. This is a great way for a corporation or local business to show their support. Sponsorships at the Corporate level and above include player spots, and all include advertising in the TAS Calendar/Tournament Program.
- Advertise. Our Tournament Program is a printed calendar of Temple events throughout the year, surrounded by ads and messages from members and businesses. Everyone can participate: 3 line messages are only $18, and honorarium/memorial ads are $36. Draw local businesses in to advertise, and build their relationship with the TAS community-prices start at $36 for a business card ad to $250 for a full page ad.
- Donate. We need prize and silent auction items. Get a local restaurant or theatre to donate a dinner/show, and advertise in the Tournament Program. Donate those sports tickets you aren’t using. Donation letters are available from the Golf Tournament website.
More information, including online and printable signup forms and donation forms, is available at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org or call Barry Mann at 818-360-8881 .
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!