- CONGREGATIONAL MEETING — SHOW MOTAS STRONG
- JETHAWKS BASEBALL (SUNDAY JUNE 7) – RSVP BY MAY 21
- MOTAS COMEDY CLUB – SUNDAY JUNE 14
- CALL FOR GRANT REQUESTS
- JUNE MENS HANGOUT – SUNDAY EVENING JUNE 14
- SUMMER EVENTS – SHABBABEQUE / POTLUCK / CONCERTS IN THE PARK
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY – STAMP OUT HUNGER – SATURDAY MAY 16
- IN CLOSING
This coming Sunday is the annual Congregational meeting. By now, you’ve probably gotten a call from a board member. I’d like to personally encourage you to attend as well. Here’s why.
You know about the general Congregational stuff happening at the meeting:
- A few preferred caterers sampling their food.
- Discussions of the Bylaws updates
- Election of the new TAS Board officers and trustees
- Review of the budget
- Update on the congregation
Here’s a special MoTAS reason to attend: I’ll be giving the MoTAS Annual Report and presenting our annual gift to the congregation. I’ll also be (quickly and) publicly recognizing our outgoing and incoming board, as well as a number of people who help helped throughout the year.
Please attend the Congregational meeting. It is important for the Congregation, and important to show the strength of MoTAS.
Registration is now open for our Jethawks Baseball Family Event on Sunday, June 7 — visit http://jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org to register. This will be an outing to “The Hanger” in Lancaster (about a hour drive from TAS) on a Sunday afternoon to see the Jethawks play. The cost will be $9 per person (with a slight convenience charge for online credit-card registrations). If you haven’t been to a minor-league baseball game, they are an order of magnitude more fun than an outing to the Dodgers. The stadium is small, the food is inexpensive, and the goal is just to have a great time. The Jethawks (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t491) are the minor-league team for the Houston Astros. The game is an afternoon game, allowing us to arrive at the stadium, gather together for lunch, and not be out until the wee hours of the morning. It is also after religious school is over for the year, so we encourage you to bring your kids and grandkids. The more the merrier.
Note: If you print the form, it will show the total for your tickets as 0.00. That’s an artifact of Adobe Acrobat attempting to calculate the cost of 0 tickets. Just put in the correct total if you are filling out the form by hand.
Registration information may be found at jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org. REGISTRATIONS ARE DUE BY MAY 21.
Continuing a tradition started by our Past President, our June meeting will bring back the MOTAS Comedy Club. Bring your best Jewish jokes to share with the group as we laugh at our last membership meeting for the 2014-2015 programming year. Unaccustomed as I am to extemporaneous public speaker, I might even ask Bob to be our Master of Ceremonies. As usual, we start with breakfast at 8:45 AM, followed by our activity review at 9:00 AM and the comedy club at 10:00 AM.
We are past March Madness, and past the craziness that was April. We still have some funds remaining from the March Madness Squares. If you are aware of a specific congregational program or need that might benefit from a specific grant, please visit our Grants page at http://grants.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ or send an email with the information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Even if we cannot fund it now, we will enter it into our funding request spreadsheet for future consideration as a grant or as budgeted funding.
Our last Mens Only Hangout for the 2014-2015 programming year is scheduled for 7PM on June 14, the evening of our June meeting. If you would be interesting in joining the hang-out, please contact Dave Friedman at email@example.com. In order to confirm that the event will occur, we need your RSVP to Dave.
Mark your calendars now for the following summer events:
- June Shabbabeque. Signups are now open for first Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, June 19th. For more information, visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/
- July MoTAS Potluck. MoTAS is continuing the traditional of an end-of-year/start-of-year party for MoTAS members. This year’s July MoTAS Potluck will be held Sunday afternoon and evening, July 12. More information to come.
- August Concert in the Park. We invite you to join MoTAS for a picnic and concert in the park on Sunday, August 9. We’ll be meeting at Warner Park for the Concerts in the Park series; the artist that night will be a Neil Diamond tribute band. Last year’s event was quite a lovely evening. Again, more information to come as the summer progresses.
The Social Action Committee invites MoTAS members to join M.E.N.D. (a TAS social action partner) in it’s annual STAMP OUT HUNGER food sorting event on Saturday, May 16th from 1PM to 6PM. This is an annual event which stocks local food pantries for most of the year. Be a part of Making History, doing mitzvot, community service and making a difference in the world! Food was collected by the Postal Service on Sat. May 9th, and now needs to be sorted and boxed – quite a job! Various school and church groups went last year, we are hoping to have a great group from TAS this year!
- Time: work all or just part of the time — 1PM to 6PM
- Location: MEND’s Pacoima facility — 10641 San Fernando Road, Pacoima
This is a great family or friend/group event: kids 10 years with adult and older.Wear “working” clothes and closed toed shoes.Barbecue dinner will be served to those who volunteer.
To Volunteer: Please give your name, and if under 18, your age, in an Email to Judy Stehr at firstname.lastname@example.org orEmail email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, feel free to call Judy at 818-744-6227.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!