- JANUARY SPEAKER – MITCH ENGLANDER – SUNDAY, JANUARY 11
- MoTAS DINNER AND SHABBAT – FRIDAY, JANUARY 23
- SUPERBOWL SQUARES ARE ON SALE
- FEBRUARY EVENTS: FIRST TAS(NVR) RABBI SPEAKING; MENS HANGOUT WITH RABBI LUTZ
- PLAN TO ATTEND THE MAN OF THE YEAR DINNER
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
- IN CLOSING
This coming Sunday, MoTAS will be hosting a very special speaker: The Honorable Mitch Englander, LA City Councilmember for District 12. Councilman Englander will speak about new and on-going projects that affect Northridge. This will be followed by a question and answer session. Start preparing your questions now, and join us in the Social Hall for the meeting. Councilman Englander’s talk will start at 10:00 AM (this was misentered as 10:00 PM last week — 10:00 AM is correct)
Prior to the talk, the Men of TAS will be having our usual MoTAS breakfast and review of upcoming activities, starting at 8:45am. Please let us (email@example.com) know if you will be there and are not normally present for breakfast, so ensure we have sufficient food. Although not required, MoTAS welcomes donations to help cover the cost of breakfast.
Once a year TAS celebrates the contributions of MoTAS at the MoTAS Shabbat. This is a special Shabbat service, preceded by a special Shabbat dinner, that is primarily led by the members of MoTAS. Mark your calendar NOW, and reserve your space:
- Call for Participation. If you are a male member of TAS and would like to participate in the service, please contact Bob Levine, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call Daniel at (818) 438-5781 and the message will get to Bob. Please let him know if you want to read Hebrew.
- Make Your Dinner Reservations Now. Before the service we will be having a special Shabbat dinner catered by Silver Spoons catering. The cost is $15 for adults, $10 for children. The menu will feature Israeli Salad w/Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing, Chicken Kabobs w/Tzatziki Sauce, Basmati Rice, Ratatouille, Pita Breads and Hummus, Fresh Fruit, and the usual Shabbat treats. For more information and to make reservations, visit http://shabbat.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. You can also sign up at the Mitch Englander speaker meeting (bring your checkbook).
The Monday Night Football season is over and the last Football Squares checks have been sent. Next up: the Superbowl on February 1. Now is the time to buy a Superbowl Sqaure. The cost is only $18 per square, and you can help Temple Ahavat Shalom while potentially rewarding yourself. You can register and pay online at http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=194021395, or find the paper registration form, together with the official rules, at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org/. You can also sign up at our speaker meeting or at the MoTAS shabbat.
It is time to start marking your calendar for our February events:
- Speakers Meeting: Sunday, February 8th at 8:45 AM. Our February speakers meeting will feature Hal Daum. Hal has had a long and varied career, including working in real estate, as a parole officer, and as the Executive Director for a number of congregations. For this meeting, however, his claim to fame is that he was the student Rabbi assigned to North Valley Reform Temple in 1962 when it split off of Temple Beth Torah. In 1965, NVR rejoined with Temple Beth Torah to form Temple Ahavat Shalom. Thus, Hal is essentially the first Rabbi of what became TAS. Come and share your memories of the early days of what became TAS as we prepare for our 50th anniversary year.
- Mens-Only Hangout: Sunday, February 22nd at 6:00 PM. Our February Men’s Only Hangout / Discussion will be a special one, as we’ll be hanging out with Rabbi Lutz, discussing a variety of topics. A signup sheet will available at the MoTAS Speaker meeting with an online RSVP form available shortly. We encourage you to mark the date on your calendar. Space will be limited.
During the MoTAS Shabbat, we’ll be announcing the MoTAS Man of the Year. This is just the start of the festivities for our honoree. On Saturday, March 7, 2015, our honoree will be recognized at the MRJ Regional Man of the Year dinner, hosted at Temple Beth David in Westminster, CA. We hope you can be there to support our honoree, so mark your calendar now. The cost will be $36.00 per person. A signup sheet will be avalablle at the MoTAS Meeting.
Hopefully, you made all your end of year contributions, and you’ve signed up to attend the Cantor’s Concert. If not, we encourage you to do so — the Temple always welcomes your contributions, and we haven’t yet reached the deadline for the concert. If you haven’t figured it out by now, we believe that TAS is a cause worth supporting. The Temple survives on your donations, and every dollar is important.
The upcoming MoTAS Shabbat will mark the start of the MoTAS Annual Appeal. As you may recall, two years ago MoTAS got rid of dues — every man at TAS is a member of MoTAS. To make this model work, we’re building a relationship with you, and hope you want to provide financial support to maintain that relationship. We’ll be sending out a letter after the Shabbat, but if you want to get a jump on things, just visit our website at www.tasnorthridge-motas.org and select “Support Us” from the right-hand column.
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!