The Sports Squares program is a quick and easy way to support MoTAS and Temple Ahavat Shalom. All monies earned by this program are used to fund special activities of Temple Ahavat Shalom that are above and beyond what is covered by the general fund.
We are accepting signups for:
2020 NCAA Squares
You can register either by printing a form (download the form, and then print) and mailing it in with your payment, or you can register online. Note: there is an additional small per-square fee charged for handling by TicketLeap for on-line registrants. Registration closes Wednesday, April 1, 2020, unless otherwise announced. You can find a paper registration form for downloading here (no additional fees). Click the following button to register online:
|Register Online with Credit Card||Register Offline with Credit Card, Check, Zelle, or Venmo
(download and print the linked form, complete, and then mail with your check, or we can request funds through QuickPay/Zelle or Venmo)
How It Works/Official Rules
The program works as follows: For each game there is a chart set up with the numbers 0-9 arranged randomly across the top for the ‘home team’ and 0-9 arranged randomly down the side for the ‘visiting team’.
- A designated contribution gives you one square in the grid for the duration of each season of the program. There are 100 total squares (unless otherwise indicated). As the numbers are randomly selected, it makes no difference where your own square is.
- Each game will have a different randomly selected number arrangement for the home and visiting teams.It is rare that you will have the same set of two numbers for two different games.
- There is a specified payout for the matching the last digit of the score (e.g., last digit of the score, so 17 is a 7) for specified points in the game; with a different payout for the final score. You can win multiple times in a single game.
- Any adult over 18 is eligible to play.
- Checks will be mailed to the winners every week.
The sports squares program is normally run during the Fall Monday Night Football season, the Super Bowl, and the NCAA Basketball championships. The current game is indicated with 🏀 or 🏈.
- 🏀 NCAA Championships: The program is based on the six games that cover the “Final Four” teams for both the men’s and the women’s games: the four semifinal games (2 men’s, 2 women’s) and then the championship game (1 men’s and 1 women’s).
- Entries: The basic entry is $36 per square.
- Limits: A player can reserve up to 3 squares and up to 3 more for their spouse.
- Payouts: Payouts are $150 for both the halftime and final scores of each game. As with the football squares, the winners are determined by the last digit of a team’s score (so 67 is a 7). If the board is not fully subscribed, the payout is proportional based on the number of subscribed squares.
- Unsubscribed Squares: To address the possibility that all 100 squares might not be subscribed, the following is the procedure for empty squares that win: each player will make a guess as to what the total number of points both teams will score . This number will be used to settle all cases, for all games. If you purchase more than one square your “number” will apply for all your squares. Closest to actual score wins (payouts divided with ties). If there is no halftime winner, the final score prediction will still be used. For example: NCAA 73-59 = “132” (73+59)
- Totals: The total payout is $300 per game, $1800 for all six games. This results in up to $1800 for temple projects.
- Other Notes: Unless otherwise designated by the NCAA, the home team for any game will be the school located closer to TAS.
- Superbowl Squares: This program is based on the Superbowl.
- Entries: The basic entry is $25 per square.
- Limits: A player can reserve up to 2 squares and up to 2 more for their spouse.
- Payouts: Payouts are $230 for each of the first, second, and third quarters; $460 for the final score. You can win once, twice, or maybe all four times, if your random grid combination wins. If the board is not fully subscribed, the payout is proportional based on the number of subscribed squares.
- Unsubscribed Squares: To address the possibility that all 100 squares might not be subscribed, the following is the procedure for empty squares that win: each player will make a guess as to what the total number of points both teams will score . If you purchase more than one square your “number” will apply for all your squares. Closest to actual score wins (payouts divided with ties). . For example: Superbowl: 28-21 = “49” (28+21)
- Totals: For a full board, the total brought 91 x $25 = $2275. The total payout to players is $1150. This results in up to $1125 for temple projects.
- Note: We have eliminated certain number combinations from play for the Super Bowl. These numbers are weighted and it was decided that even though players are placed randomly on the grid, they have an unfair advantage over other combinations. If one of these combinations is a “winner,” it will be considered an unsold space, and the payouts will go to the players with the correct total number of points tie-breaker. Since a person can win only one tie-breaker, those closest to the exact score may also share in the proceeds if more than one square needs a tie-breaker to determine the winner.
- Football Squares: The program is based on the 16 Monday Night Football games:
- Entries: The basic entry is $50 per square.
- Limits: One entry per person. A couple, each participating, can purchase two squares.
- Payouts: Payouts are $25 for each of the first, second, and third quarters; $50 for the final score. You can win once, twice, or maybe all four times in any week.
- Unsubscribed Squares: No payment for unsubscribed squares that have a winning combination.
- Totals: The total payout is $125 per week, $2000 for the whole season. This results in up to $3000 for temple projects.
Current / Upcoming Seasons
Here is the status of the winners for the Fall 2019 Football Squares program (* – home):
Broncos at Raiders*
|Kathy Pullman||Phyllis Bigelson||Debbi Bash||Debbi Bash|
Browns at Jets*
|Linda Sculler||Ken Gross||Paul Silver||Paul Silver|
Bears at Washington*
|Barry Mann||Ben Birken||Karen Silverstein||Laurie Mondrus|
Bengels at Steelers*
|Cheryl Hatkoff||Cheryl Hatkoff||Sue Sculler||
Browns at 49ers*
|Sarah Cirimele||Robb Zelonky||Rabbi Kalfus||Robb Zelonky|
Lions at Packers*
|Cantor Ken Cohen||Debbi Bash||Erin Peltzman||Karen Silverstein|
Patriots at Jets*
|Laurie Mondrus||Alyce Caskey||Bob Ingrum||Scott Pullman|
Dolphins at Steelers*
|Jan Rapoport||Jan Rapoport||Amy Ramirez||Amy Ramirez|
Cowboys at Giants*
|Jason Horowitz||David Silverman||Jerry Hilecher||Justin Koretz|
Seahawks at 49ers*
|Ken Gross||Ben Kleinbrodt||Roger Lowe||Mel Birken|
Chiefs at Chargers*
|Harry Grammer||Marci Hilecher||
Cantor Ken Cohen
Cantor Ken Cohen
Ravens at Rams*
|Cheryl Hatkoff||Rabbi Dalia Samansky||Ken Miles||Ken Miles|
Vikings at Seahawks*
|Ken Gross||Howard Miller||Ken Gross||Jan Rapoport|
Giants at Eagles*
|Robyn Blachman||Marci Hilecher||Phyllis Bigelson||
Colts at Saints*
|Alan Stepakoff||Bob Ingrum||Karen Silverstein||Erin Peltzman|
Packers at Vikings*
|Jim Caskey||Brian Hatkoff||Jan Rapoport||Samantha Doner|
Donations from the 2019 Football Squares:
Here is the status of the winners for the Superbowl Squares 2020 program:
🏈 49ers vs. 🏈 Chiefs
|Tom Morton||Chris Bash||3-Way Split
Donations from the Superbowl 2020 Squares:
Here is the status of the winners for the NCAA Madness (Basketball) 2020 program:
† – Tiebreaker Used
Donations from the NCAA Madness (Basketball) 2019 Squares ($XXXraised):
Prior Year Winners and Grants
- 2018-2019 Sports Squares
- 2017-2018 Sports Squares
- 2016-2017 Sports Squares
- 2015-2016 Sports Squares
- 2014-2015 Sports Squares
The Real Winners
As indicated above, proceeds from the sports squares program are used to support specific TAS activities. Past seasons of the program have supported the following activities:
- Purchases of audio-visual equipment for the Temple
- Purchases of supplies for the Religious School
- Support of the Alumni Outreach Fund
- Support of the Avodah Fund
- Support of the TASTY General Fund
- Support of the Cantor’s Discretionary Fund
- Support of the MoTAS/Sisterhood Campership Fund
For more information, see our Grants Information Page.
Points of Contact
Online Ticketing Powered by Eventbee