In This Issue:
- MOTAS RACES FOR THE GALA – SAT JUN 15
- SHABBABAQUE IS COMING – FRI JUN 28
- JUNE DINING OUT – TUE JUN 25 @ CHI’S
- YOUR NEW MOTAS OFFICERS (WHO LOOK LIKE THE OLD)
- FOOTBALL SQUARES SALES ARE NOW OPEN
- JUNE MEETING MINUTES
- IN CLOSING
1. MOTAS RACES FOR THE GALA – SAT JUN 15
Please join your MoTAS friends and help out the temple at the June 15 2019 Gala, TAS’ biggest fundraiser. Not only will you find a whole page add from MoTAS but we are also sponsoring a race horse along with TAS Sisterhood. Our entry, The Great Auxiliary, will make its track debut in a run for the roses, or maybe the Kishkah. Hope to see you there to cheer for our champion and help out the temple.
2. SHABBABAQUE IS COMING – FRI JUN 28
Signups are now open for first Shabbat Bar-B-Que — what we call Shabbabeque — of the summer on Friday, June 28th. Shabbabaque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from our rockin’ TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:45pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. Meat items will include turkey burgers, beef burgers, and hot dogs. Vegetarian items will include vegetarian patties, broccoli roasted with garlic, and baked potatoes. Afterwards, there will be a wonderful Sisterhood oneg. The full menu is on the Shabbabaque event page. Our goal is for everyone to be happy. If you have special dietary needs, please contact us at the email address below.
☞ Checking out TAS? The Men of TAS invite all families interested in learning about TAS to enjoy the BBQ as our guests. Please invite your friends and other family members who may have an interest in joining our community to dine with you at our expense. Note: To do this, you need to register your guests online, by the advance registration deadline.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 28, 2019
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:45 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/26 at noon). Free for those checking out TAS.
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations and Payments: Visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event. You may also pay by credit card at the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing email@example.com. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/26 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservation for this event by June 26th is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of late-registration tickets are available at the door.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit https://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=129473583.
3. JUNE DINING OUT – TUE JUN 25 @ CHI’S
Would you like an easy way to help MoTAS financially? How about taking your family to dinner. The MoTAS “Dining Does Good” allows you to go out to dinner, and have the restaurant donate a portion of your check support the Men of TAS. Our November Dining Does Good” will be Tuesday, June 25 at Chi’s Chinese in Northridge. You can find a flyer for the event at https://wp.tasnorthridge-motas.org/activities/dining/.
We really encourage you to come and support these events: we raise a little extra funds for our work, but more importantly, we come together and break bread as a Temple family on a regular basis. It is a real joy to walk into a neighborhood restaurant and see your Temple friends, to sit down and share a table and talk. This is the heart and goal of MoTAS: Building Relationships.
4. YOUR NEW MOTAS OFFICERS (WHO LOOK LIKE THE OLD)
At the June MoTAS meeting, Rabbi Kalfus installed the officers for the upcoming year. Presenting your new MoTAS officers, who look quite a bit like the old officers (Russ Rapoport was not able to attend the meeting):
5. FOOTBALL SQUARES SALES ARE NOW OPEN
Summer is Football Squares season! It’s an easy way to support TAS and possibly win a little back. $50 gets you a random square on the board, where randomized rows and columns have the digits 0 through 9. During Monday Night Football season, match the last digit of the home and away team scores in a quarter and win! More information, complete rules, online signup, and signup forms are available at http://squares.tasnorthridge-motas.org, or contact Bob Levine (818-271-1282, email@example.com) or Kathy Pullman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Forms will soon be available in the Temple Foyer. Funds raised by the Sports Squares programs are used to fund specific needs that are often unfunded, and expenditures are distinct from MoTAS’ general fund contributions. Registration closes at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 6.
As you recall, the net proceeds for the Football Squares goes to support TAS projects that cannot be funded, either adequately, or at all, by current temple budgeting. It is your support that makes these things happen. As a result of your participation and support, the temple has had a major overhaul to the kitchen, and we have been able to offer more campership funds to allow our youth to go to Jewish camp in the summer.
Please support us this year, as you have in the past. All the information about the game, as well as sign-up instructions, are available at our website:
We hope you can see your way to be part of our team this season. You might win some money, but the temple is the big winner. A warm thank-you from the Men of TAS.
6. JUNE MEETING MINUTES
Date: Sunday, June 9, 2019
Present: Howard Miller (President), Hal Bass (Secretary), Bob Brostoff, Karen Davis (guest), Daniel Faigin, Larry Hoffman, Mel Janis, Bob Levine, Roger Lowe (Treasurer), Barry Mann, Larry Pfefer (VP), Kathy Pullman (guest), Mike Rayfield, Bill Shapiro, Bernie Singer, Sandy Stern, Mike Thornhill, Alia Yollis (guest), Scott Yollis.
Installation of Officers: Rabbi Arturo Kalfus installed MoTAS officers for 2019-20: Howard Miller, president; Larry Pfefer and Russ Rapoport (in absentia), vice presidents; Roger Lowe, treasurer; Hal Bass, secretary
- Howard thanked Bob Levine, Roger Lowe, Mike Thornhill and Scott Yollis for preparing this morning’s brunch.
- At the congregational meeting on June 2, MoTAS presented a check for $5,000 representing our annual commitment to the temple.
- During the past year, MoTAS provided almost $12,000 for specific temple needs, which included the Gala, Cantors Concert, pancake breakfast at the opening of school, camperships, and a new water heater for the kitchen.
- MoTAS has allocated $1,000 for a Gala ad and $250 for the Gala horse race.
- The temple has a DWP grant for lighting upgrades. As the grant does not include batteries for emergency back-up, Larry Pfefer announced that MoTAS will allocate up to $1,500 from Sports Squares for the uncovered expenses. A motion for the allocation was unanimously passed at the April membership meeting.
- MoTAS contributed $2,450 from Sports Squares funds for installation of synthetic turf on the ECEC and Religious School grounds.
- Howard proposed, and Barry Mann seconded, a motion to allocate up to $5,000 of MoTAS operating funds for a special project or projects, such as improved broadband, landscape enhancements and/or better acoustics in the social hall. MoTAS officers will make the decision, with an announcement for the general MoTAS membership to appear in the Weekly. The motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report, as of 6/8/19:
- Lighting Upgrade for Items Not Covered by DWP: $1,500
- Sisterhood Campership Program: $1,261
- TAS Annual Commitment: $5,000
- Gala Ad $1,000 & Horse Race $250 (Sisterhood contribution also $250): $1,250
- Seder Plates for High-School Graduates: $140
- Synthetic Turf for ECEC and Education Complex: $2,450
- 2019 MoTAS Appeal: $4,817 (48 participants) and Pride Appeal $622 (7 participants) to date less <$191> for postage & CC fees=$5;248 this exceeds our goal of $4,500
- Yom HaShoah Candles: Income $2,164 (60 participants), Mailing Expense <$903>=Net $1,261
- Dining Does Good on May 28 at Weiler’s Northridge: $140
- June 28 Shabbabeque $22 (2 participants to date)
- Prior Years Sports Squares Funds: $2,377
- 2018 Season Football Squares Income: $4,975, Winners Paid Out <$1,900>, Remaining Funds $3,075
- 2019 Super Bowl Income: $2,225, Winner Payout <$805>, Remaining Funds $1,420
- 2019 March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament Income: $2,529, Winner Payout <$1,255>=Net $1,274
- Total Sports Squares Funds Available for Distribution: $8,146
Shabbabaque, Friday, June 28: Volunteers needed for purchasing, preparation, serving and clean-up. A sign-up sheet was circulated. A second Shabbabaque has been tentatively scheduled for August 23; further details will be forthcoming.
Dining Does Good, Tuesday, June 25, at Chi’s Chinese Restaurant in Northridge: MoTAS receives 20% of the amount from each bill, but diners need to present the server or cashier a flyer available on the MoTAS website.
Sports Squares Project Group: Being organized to investigate temple needs, including Religious School projects (based on parental and staff input and site inspection).
Scott Yollis’ Presentation, “All About Knives”: Over the years, Scott has acquired a considerable number of knives of every variety, which he brought to the meeting. He said he never buys new knives for his collection, but purchases them at garage sales, at swap meets or from friends.
Scott demonstrated the “anatomy” of a knife, and explained that he sharpens his knives by hand, never by machine. The highest quality knives have traditionally been made of carbon steel, which can rust, but blades of stainless steel in many cases are now considered comparable in quality.
The presentation obviously was meticulously prepared, beautifully delivered, and very well received.
Adjournment and Next MoTAS Meeting: The next meeting will take place Sunday, September 8, 2019, at 8:45 am.
Hal Bass, Secretary
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!