In This Issue:
- JETHAWKS BASEBALL – FAMILY EVENT – SATURDAY MAY 28
- JUNE SPEAKER: YIDDISH CULTURE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – SUNDAY, JUNE 5
- JUNE SHABBABEQUE: SIGN UP NOW / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – FRIDAY, JUNE 17
- CONGRATULATIONS TO THE MOTAS 2016-2017 BOARD
- MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
- UPCOMING EVENTS: 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT PLANNING BEGINS…
- IN CLOSING
1. JETHAWKS BASEBALL – FAMILY EVENT – SATURDAY MAY 28
Registration is now open for our Jethawks Baseball Family Event on Saturday, May 28th — visit http://jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org to register. This will be an outing to “The Hanger” in Lancaster (about a hour drive from TAS) on a Saturday evening to see the Jethawks play. The cost will be $9 per person (with a slight convenience charge for online credit-card registrations). If you haven’t been to a minor-league baseball game, they are an order of magnitude more fun than an outing to the Dodgers. The stadium is small, the food is inexpensive, and the goal is just to have a great time. The Jethawks (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t491) are the minor-league team for the Houston Astros. The game is an evening game (so we’re not sitting in the hot Lancaster sun), allowing us to arrive at the stadium around 530pm, watch the game, and be home between 10-11 (the game should end around 9pm). It is also after religious school is over for the year, so we encourage you to bring your kids and grandkids. The more the merrier.
NOTE: The flyer has the incorrect time, and I’m on vacation and haven’t updated it yet. The game start time is 6:05 PM. We should arrive around 5:30 PM, as per the paragraph above.
Registration information may be found at jethawks.tasnorthridge-motas.org.
2. JUNE SPEAKER: YIDDISH CULTURE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – SUNDAY, JUNE 5
Mark your calendar now for our June Membership Meeting on June 5th, when Erin Faigin will talk about the Yiddish Literary Culture of Los Angeles, and its expression through the Yiddish Culture Club. This club pioneered Western Yiddish literature, informed by European and Jewish literary traditions, expressing both anxieties about being a Jew in the twentieth century, and the particularities of Jewish identity in the American West. If you’re interested in Yiddish and its role in Southern California, this is the talk for you.
As always, before the speaker, we will have our scrumptions MoTAS breakfast and our review of upcoming activities. Join us at 8:45 AM for Breakfast, with the event review starting at 9:00 AM. The speaker starts at 10AM.
3. JUNE SHABBABEQUE: SIGN UP NOW / VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – FRIDAY, JUNE 17
Signups are now open for first Shabbabeque of the summer on Friday, June 17th. Shabbabeque starts with an outdoor service in the TAS amphitheatre at 6:15pm, featuring music from the TAS House Band. This is followed at 7:15pm by a delicious barbeque dinner. The menu typically includes chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers, along with Caesar salad (no chicken in the salad), plus all the sides.
The next Shabbabeque is:
- Date: Friday, June 17, 2016
- 6:15 PM Service
- 7:15 PM Shabbabeque Dinner
- Cost: $11 Adults / $7 Children (+$5 for registrations after Weds., 6/15 at noon)
- How to Register:
- Online Registrations: Click here or visit http://shab-bbq.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ to register. You may pay by credit card, or mail your check in advance or bring it to the event.
- Telephone Registrations. You may register by calling the MoTAS Voicemail at (641) 715-3900 Ext. 430235#, the Temple Office at (818) 360-2258, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that registrations received after Weds 6/15 at 6PM are an additional $5.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
Pre-reservation for this event is strongly encouraged; an extremely-limited number of tickets are available at the door.
To volunteer to help at the event, visit http://motascybermaven.eventbee.com/event?eid=123343142. Frank Soronow is the event coordinator for the June 2016 Shabbabeque.
4. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE MOTAS 2016-2017 BOARD
At the Sunday, May 1 MoTAS Meeting, the members present elected the following officers for th 2016-2017 programming year:
- President: Frank Soronow
- Vice President: Bill Shapiro
- Vice President: Larry Hoffman
- Secretary: Hal Bass
- Treasurer: Roger Lowe
The MoTAS Bylaws establish a two-year term limit for vice-presidents and presidents. Dave Friedman and Daniel Faigin have both reached the end of their two year terms. Daniel will remain on the Executive Board as the Immediate Past President.
5. MOTAS/MENS CLUB LOGOWEAR AVAILABLE
While cleaning the Mens Club closet, we discovered quite a stash of Mens Club and MoTAS items. Yes, I said Mens Club — because whatever the term, we’re a group of brothers working together for our Temple family. These items will be available for purchase at the Membership Meeting and at MoTAS events; or you can contact an officer and we’ll arrange to get you what you want (yes, we can take credit cards at the membership meeting):
- Light Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Medium Blue Men’s Club T-Shirt (1, L) – $10
- Dark Blue Men’s Club T-Shirts (L, XL) – $10
- Cobalt Blue Polo-Shirt (no pocket) with MoTAS on sleeve (L, XL) – $10
- MoTAS Aluminum Water Bottles – $10
- Knit African kippot (no logo) – $18
- Embroidered turquoise and gold kippot – $5
The knit African kippot are very nice — they stretch to be able to fit your head without having to use clips. They came to MoTAS via Barry Krowne’s daughter who was in Africa near the tribe that made them. Barry brought them back with him from one of his trips there. Some time later, Steven Zonis noticed that the Rabbi of that congregation (who just got elected as the first Jewish member of the Ugandan Parliament) was going to do a tour of the US, and suggested we invite him here. After a very long to-do regarding pricing, arrangements were made, and he visited us for weekend-in-residence.
Lastly, if you want items with the new logo, you can order them from our Cafe Press store at http://www.cafepress.com/motasshop.
6. 2016 GOLF TOURNAMENT PLANNING BEGINS…
Plans are firming out for the 2016 MoTAS Golf Tournament, which will be held Monday, September 19 at the beautiful Calabasas Country Club. MoTAS is looking for members to join our Golf Tournament committee. This is the group that plans the tournament, and helps bring in sponsors and advertising. If you would be interested, contact Barry Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: If you are interested in registering for the tournament, being a sponsor, advertising in the program, or making a donation to our auction, please see our Golf Tournament page — newly updated for 2016 — at http://golf.tasnorthridge-motas.org/
As always, remember that the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom is *your* organization. Keep up to date on our activities at http://www.tasnorthridge-motas.org/ and participate. Sign up for our action alert list at http://tinyurl.com/motas-action-alert. We want to serve all the men of Temple Ahavat Shalom and welcome new participants from the TAS membership. Join our Facebook group and “follow” our website. Come be part of the Men of Temple Ahavat Shalom!